Monday, October 12, 2015

The 24 Hour Setlist - Questions and Answers


The big day is less than a month away, so I figured I would try and answer whatever questions might come up about this unique undertaking.

Where do I donate?

My Extra Life page is here. It also gives an outline of why I chose to do this and what their cause is all about.

Can I donate now or do I have to wait until the marathon?

Whichever you like. If you are planning to donate, make sure you do it before November 8, because that's when the marathon ends.

Where do I watch the stream?

At my Twitch channel. Right now there isn't anything on there, but starting at 8:30 am on Saturday, November 7 it will broadcast all 24 hours of the marathon. I know nobody's going to sit there for all 24 hours, but I hope people pop in and out. You can leave comments in the chat window to the side and I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know if the audio or video quality starts to give out.

What is with you kids and this Rock Band stuff? How can you sing in a video game?

Well, I'm firmly into my 30s now and still a big fan of these games! For those who nothing about this series, Rock Band is not your typical videogame. Up to 4 players can play together on instrument controllers (lead and bass guitars, a drum set and a microphone) and try to replicate the rhythms and melodies of real songs that get licensed for the series.

The vocals system is reminiscent of a karaoke machine, although in addition to the lyrics, the game shows you the pitches of each note relative to the others. Your job is to be as accurate as you can in singing the song.

Why don't you just learn a real instrument?

Sure, just as soon as everyone who plays Call of Duty enlists in the military and heads to Afghanistan. Actually, that doesn't really work on me cause my voice is my voice, regardless of where I use it.

Why did you pick this game to play for 24 hours?
I figure if you're going to play a game this long, you should be good at it. I've never been as good at a game (or perhaps anything else) as I am at Rock Band. This post has more about my history with the games.

What are the songs?
All 335 songs on the 24 hour setlist are listed in order here.

Rock Band 4 just came out. Why are you doing this on Rock Band 3?

The short answer is that I planned a lot of this before I even knew Rock Band 4 was going to happen. It would be tough to switch this late in the process.

The longer answer is for any RB fans who were looking for more details. Up until recently, we weren't sure how much of the previous series content would be available so soon after its launch. Worst case scenario is that I wouldn't even have enough for 24 hours (I didn't want to repeat any songs). Also, we've recently found out that they won't be any quickplay setlists, meaning that I would have to select each of 335 songs one at a time...for 24 hours. I would much rather let the huge setlists I've already put together in RB3 just play out.

So I suppose this is my farewell to Rock Band 3, which I've had for 5 years. If I do this again next year, I'm sure I'll have come up with a feasible way to do it in Rock Band 4.

How are you going to sing for 24 hours straight? You're going to kill your voice, are you crazy?

Maybe. I hoped the audacity of the idea would get some interest.

My approach to the challenge is that it's a marathon, not a sprint. I don't plan on singing "full voice," like I would at a karaoke place or in the car. Going "half voice" is a lot less strain on your vocal cords and probably more sensible when I have another mic collecting streaming audio right near me. I hope it sounds at least decent, but I'm not out to win a Grammy with this, I'm trying to go the distance. Other than that, it's a matter of stocking up on bottled water and cough drops, going to the bathroom during long guitar solos and enjoying myself!

Any more questions? Leave them in the comments and I'll be happy to answer!

No comments: